About Us

BLUE RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Established 1939

Blue Ridge Elementary School opened its doors in 1939 to students in grades 1-8. At the time, it was called the Mt. Mission Graded School. Dorothy Conklyn was the principal when it opened. In 1940,the Board of Education voted to change the name to Blue Ridge Graded School.

The original building was constructed on the 3.5 acre parcel of land purchased from the Thomas Ott family in 1938. In 1974, an adjoining 29 acres were purchased from the Elwood Dillow family for approximately $35,000. Since its opening, additions in 1957, 1969, 1976 (part of the $1.5 million bond levy passed by the voters of Jefferson County on February 14, 1974) and 1991 (part of the $18 million bond levy passed by the voters of Jefferson County on February 11, 1989) have increased the size of the building from 6,750 sq. ft. to 49,155 square feet.

Kindergarten was added in 1972. With the conversion of junior high schools to middle schools in 2002, this school began serving students in grades K-5. The following Board of Education members and Superintendent served during the land acquisition, construction, and opening of this school:

H.C. Miller, Board President

H.L. Lyne

H.G. Moffatt

G.E. Perry

Melvin T. Strider

H.M. Sydnor, Superintendent

© 2018 Jefferson County Schools. All Rights Reserved.